Saturday 19 September 2015

Chapter 1: Introduction and James Bond.

Welcome dear reader to a blog dedicated to collecting the little nuggets of Victoriana in modern pop culture. 

From television to comics, there has been an explosion in the use of Victorian personalities, art and poetry.
The most famous of these being the recent use of Alfred, Lord Tennyson’s Ulysses in the 2012 James Bond movie Skyfall:




I thought it would be fun to collect and “display” these little references* for all the world to see, hence the creation of this blog. Sometimes this will take the form of reviews of media with Victorian references, others it will be maybe an image or video that I feel needs sharing. 

That said I WON’T be dealing with adaptations of Victorian novels and fictional characters for the time being as I want to focus on collecting uses of real life aspects of Victorian culture. Steampunk will be covered but only when it involves historical characters. This may change in the future, however, once things have taken off.

I plan to update daily for the next couple of weeks before moving to a weekly schedule. I have got some really
interesting stuff lined up from Neil Gaiman comics to folk music. I hope you decide to join me on this journey.


Yours faithfully,


Ben 

PS: Suggestions for the Compendium are welome, just let me know in the comments.

*With some encouragement from my good friend Franziska Kohlt

No comments:

Post a Comment